Cinnamon and Apple Buns
250g strong bread flour
125g plain flour
25g caster sugar
7g sachet fast acting yeast
100ml warm water
1 medium free-range egg
For the filling:
60g butter, melted
15g ground cinnamon
75g soft light brown sugar
350g Apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
For the caramel:
50g Caster sugar
100ml double cream
30g chopped mixed nuts, toasted
1. Place the flours, yeast and sugar in the bowl. Slowly pour in the milk and half the water and start to combine with your hands or a spoon (or a dough mixer if you have one!)
2. Once the dough starts to come together add the egg. Add additional water if necessary to make a smooth dough. Once the dough has formed, add the butter and continue to mix for around four minutes.
3. When the butter is incorporated and the dough is smooth remove from the mixer and place in a bowl, cover with cling film and leave to prove until doubled in size.
4. Remove the dough from the bowl and ‘knock-back’ with a few extra kneads.
5. In a blender or nutribullet, combine the butter (melted), chopped apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Blend until a smooth glossy paste is made.
6. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to a rectangle approximately 40x20cm. Spread the apple mixture evenly over the dough.
7. Roll from the long edge making sure you get it as tight as possible. Cut the dough ‘sausage’ using a sharp knife into 12 pieces and place on the lined baking tray, cover with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place until doubled in size and the buns are all touching each other.
8. For the caramel: Place the sugar in a pan over a high heat and cook until the sugar starts to melt, swirl the pan gently and let the sugar cook until it goes golden brown, stir in the cream and keep stirring until you have a smooth caramel. (Caution it gets HOT!).
9. Once the buns have risen, bake in a pre-heated oven at 180ºC/gas mark 6 and cook for around 20 minutes until risen and golden. Once out of the oven, drizzle the hot caramel on the top of the cooked buns, and sprinkle with the toasted nuts.
10. Enjoy with a hot cup of tea and a fabulous paper book.